Wednesday 11 July 2012

Weather Bound

                                                           Our berth in Ramsgate.

A bit windy.


Not me - the weather.

06.00 Thursday 12th of July - two nights in Ramsgate.

The forecast for yesterday from three sources gave Dover area wind at force 5 to 7 - not nice.

I decided to stay put and do some exploring and a few jobs - there's always a list.

I remembered that Ramsgate in known for the swell in the marina.

It is worse near the entrance - so where do you think I chose to berth Blazer -

You guessed  - nearest to the entrance - I didn't remember in time.

At least it's helping me to get my sea legs.

The first night was very pleasant and I had good company in the next berth with Graham and his daughter on their boat Yanita - a 50 year old - well looked after wooden boat.

During the evening another boat arrived and moored near Blazer!!!

                                                  A Dutch, steel, two masted tall ship.

Yesterday I got my folding bike out and toured the town in hot sunshine - breakfast at the Ship Shape cafe - lovely.

I collected my letter from John - the French simm card I ordered on Ebay.

I then Enquired at the sail maker if an obsolete part for my sail was available - at first he said no - like everywhere else - but then he looked further and said yes he could order one - Fantastic.

Jobs yesterday - the new wind instrument was not reliable - I eliminated a pug and socket - found a bad connection - made a soldered joint - Perfect.

I re-fitted the roof lining in the heads and fore cabin - a messy job - and a reasonably good result.

One more to do in the saloon.

After tea, I cleaned up and invited Graham and his daughter over for a drink.

It was a cool evening, so I lit the fire - Slightly over did it - it was boiling hot!!

The new flue extension piece has increased the draught considerably - I need to throttle it back a bit.

We had a nice chat - oil lamp on - Classic FM on the radio - great.

They sailed for Ipswich at 2 am.

I will check the weather this morning and make a break for Bolougne - if I can.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment