Tuesday 17 July 2012

Too Windy

                                                                  Harm and Ilona.

A strange day.


The wind was whistling through the marina - I was not going to sea today.

It was cold and overcast - raining on and off - miserable.

In stead - more jobs.

PC.

First I stripped out my computer and opened it up to replace the power supply with a new one that has a lower voltage threshold (6 volts).

This will keep the pc going even when I start the engine.

It's not a good thing, loosing your plotter at the moment you enter port and put the engine on.

Then I tried to find the new power supply - in it's white cardboard box.

After 30 minutes I gave up and put the pc back together - frustrating - but no big deal.

COMM PORT

Next job was to wire an new pc input from the NMEA wind instrument.

This is so that my navigation software can show the wind direction and strength on the plotter screen.

It will also show the course to steer allowing for leeway.

All wired up - checked the pc - the navigation software recognised the new comm port - but no signal!!

After another frustrating 30 minutes I gave up again.

PHONE

I walked into town to put credit on my new phone.

The shop where I bought it from was closed for the day.

I went to the big Orange shop - they didn't speak English.

I went to the small Orange shop - the girl there spoke English.

I bought a voucher for 40 Euros and she said I just rang 224 and put in the code number.

Back on board - NO CHANCE!!

I took the phone and vouch to the marina office - they translated the message - my phone is not registered to accept credit - AAHH!

Frustrated again - I need to go to the shop where I bought the phone on Tuesday which means staying another night.

SHOPPING.

This job went well - I stocked my fridge with fresh chicken, beef and pork.

Two heavy bags full of goodies - sorted.

Late afternoon Harm from the boat next door knocked on Blazer and asked if I would like to visit their boat - Calluna for a tour - great.

WOW - what a boat.

I didn't ask the length but I guess it to be 20 metres.

A steel boat - 25 tonnes.

!2 years old and they have lived aboard for 7 years in Holland but cruised regularly.

It was spacious and beautiful below and very well arranged.

An engine room that you can stand up in!!

I was invited to stay for dinner and Ilona cooked a wonderful Salmon pie with salad.

Over coffee we put the world right and Harm gave good advice for the trip ahead - ENJOY IT.


They left for Dunkerque at 09.00 today - Wednesday.

Good friends.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment