Friday 20 July 2012

On the move at last

                                                   The coastline South of Boulogne.

Going For It.


Saturday - 21st July


I was chatting to a Belgian man in Boulogne and he was waiting for the better weather on Friday.

He was going to Dieppe - 50 miles.

I decided to go for it and join him.

It was cool - overcast - 07.30  start - the wind just enough off the nose to allow my course of  -
210 degrees.

It was virtually a straight run for 11 hours - but very bumpy.

I was geared up for it with the cockpit all set up.




The top picture shows my nav plotter screen - which looks blank - but it is actually showing the route and exactly where I am - and it's big enough to see from the helm.

I have my hot water flask fixed in the corner and a soft rubber bin for all the odds and ends.

The bottom picture shows my goodie box - with Bovril drinks - dried fruit - cup a soups - chocolate  - and a pot noodle.


The top picture shows the tiller pilot - which keeps the heading that I set - I prefer that to complete automatic steering the route - it would do it but I have to have something to do.

The bottom picture shows the cockpit instruments - left to right.

Radar - GPS  repeater - Depth - Wind speed and direction - Speed through the water and distance log.

And just to complete the tour - on the port side - the out board for the dinghy (with one of Jayne's smart covers) and of course my strong fishing rod in it's holder - as yet  -NO FISH.

The only casualty of the bumps was that stuff must have been jumping around in the fridge and rubbing against the thermostat - it moved to maximum and froze everything!!

A bit of sticky tape required.

I sailed close hauled on starboard tack all day but the wind picked up and we had 20 degrees of heel.

That's too much so I reefed the genoa and left full main up.

The other boat - German - had a 2 metre keel and left me standing - so I reverted to cheating and turned on the engine - I kept up.

                                                         Dieppe port at 2 miles off.

Dieppe is more of a holiday town and I'm going to be here 2 nights to recover and look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment