Monday 9 July 2012

The First Bit.

                                                    Motoring  down the river Crouch.

Managed to get away about 09.30 - delayed by having to wait for my final invoice.

Very light wind - decided to motor.

Not one other boat out on the river - July?

Started raining hard when I got to Burnham - no problem - good waterproofs - Aldi!!!

Arrived at the anchorage in the river Roach at 11.10 just at slack water - perfect.

The anchor bit first pull - great. anchored in 2 metres of water plus 4.3 rise = 6.3 x 3 = 20metres of chain required - pay out chain until the yellow painted section - SIMPLE  - chq

Set the GPS anchor drag alarm at 0.2 miles.

Bacon and eggs for lunch - spot on.

Tried fishing with one of Bryn's plastic worms - too much weed.

Used my new Nav software to plan the trip to Ramsgate - brilliant!!

I put in the route - 18 waypoints - and put in 10-7-2012 @ 03.00 set off.

It calculated the course to steer for each leg, allowing for the tide and indicated 10 hours total time @4 knots.

I tried a graph feature and this indicated that if I set off at 05.00 then It will only be 8 hours.

Fantastic.

I will now confirm this by consulting the tidal atlas and plotting the route on the chart - backup.

The software also told me that the depth of water over the shallow bit will be 3 metres when I get there.

Again I will confirm that - the traditional way - building confidence.

then i discovered that the GSP into the pc was not working!!!

I tried all sorts of combinations to sort it - no chance.

It worked well last time out?

Then I remembered that I bought a low cost backup GPS that I have never tried - Maplins.

Plugged it in - BINGO.

                                                           Put the flags out - new flagstaff
                                                           and sewn ensign.

Maybe the original USB  GPS doesn't like the new super fast pc?

Lots more to do today + steak for tea.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment