Friday 13 July 2012

Leaving England

                                                          The white cliffs of Dover

A Rough Crossing!!


Thursday 12th July - hot and sunny - the wind was light - the forecast was for force 5 to 6 but 4 for at time.

The forecast for Friday was worse.

I reasoned that if I had crew then I would not go - but I can put up with some lumpy sea and besides - I don't have to to Boulogne - I can divert to Calais if it's unbearable.

I set everything up for passage making - and set off in brilliant weather - I had my new cap on for the sunshine - the sea was as calm as a millpond - not quite.

I went down the inside route to the South end of the Goodwin sands and reasoned that I might be sheltered by the white cliffs - OH YES.

Having turned East at the Goodwin Fork buoy - I put up the fore sail but just in case I deep reefed it -
Which means I didn't unroll much of it.

We were off - the tide was across our track - no matter - and when we Got to the South Goodwin buoy I could see a line of white horses in the distance - WIND!!

It hit us like a ton of bricks - Blazer heeled - (not too much ) and picked up speed - 6.5 knots with a bit of engine.

The waves were on the beam but the sail reduced the rolling and we just rode them - exhilarating.

                                                                Big Ships going South

Traffic was the next consideration - South going first - but all i had was a group of 3 and then nothing - I slowed down and let them pass - then pressed on.

There is a separation zone between the lanes of a couple of miles which gives you time to get organised for the second lane - North going.

The plotter clearly showed me when I was approaching a lane.

This time it was quite busy and I had to hold back for 5 minutes to let a fast one pass.


All the time there were cross channel ferries passing on my left and right bound for Calais.

The AIS was great - showing the names and speed plus the course of each ship.

I felt in control and I had lots of energy - GREAT.

                                                         The fore sail pulling well.

The wind was very strong - top end of a force 6 - the sheets (ropes) to the sail were bar tight - it took all my strength to pull them in  (trim them) even with the new powerful winches.

                                                                       White Horses

Having crossed both lanes I reasoned that it was still early - I felt good - press on to Boulogne.

As I turned into the wind I felt the intense power - right on the nose - I tried tacking but the auto pilot couldn't hold a straight course - the wind was blowing the bow to one side and the other - I tried hand helming and that worked better but was dammed hard work.

I put the sail away and motored towards Cap Griz Nez.

The seas were HUGE!!! - Blazer took them in her stride and I was feeling OK - no sickness but WOW what a ride.

It took hours to push the tide around the Cap and it wore me out - then the sun disappeared and it started to drizzle.

Three hours later - I was entering Bolougne harbour saturated and worn out.

There was a great welcome at the marina from the staff who took my lines and helped me to berth Blazer.

About 10.5 hours for the trip - not bad considering - Cleaned up - a nice meal in a Brasserie in town and collapsed in bed at 10 pm BST.

Recover for 3 days and explore Boulogne.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment