Friday 18 November 2016

Tidy Up Day

Friday 18th of November 2016

A lovely dry - sunny day today - time to sort things out.

As I said before, the site is wet and sludgy and our dog Penny loves to sniff out trails and she couldn't care less about getting muddy and then going straight indoors onto the white settee !!!

The Plan - To erect a simple light weight fence, the full length of the site with a wide, hook on, gate for wheel barrow access.

So I dug out some long lengths of reclaimed timber - plus some new  - for the hand rail @ about 45 mm x 32mm.

I cut 6 uprights from 63 x 38 CLS timber and drove them into the ground along the path edge as uprights.

Nailed on the handrails - leaving a four foot gap for access.

Jackie helped me to staple on the barrier mesh - a roll of orange safety barrier we bought for £10 years ago - for keeping chickens off freshly sown grass seed and similar jobs.
It is very flimsy - but the wind goes straight through it without putting pressure on the fence.
I cut thin strips of 20mm wide pine and stapled it on to trap the thin mesh along all edges - it worked really well !

I dug out a wire mesh and timber door that I made for the potting shed to make it into an isolation cage  for sick chickens - I fashioned two flat metal hooks from thin angle brackets - then hooked it on - great !
The gate is not as high as the handrails - I will extend it for neatness.




Jackie is pleased - Penny is not pleased - she can not get to sniff out the trails from any night creatures we get ( there is a fox sett in the field behind our house ) !!!
Hopefully - no sludge in the house or on furniture now - I hope !!

To help a bit more - I relocated the boot scraper to a position near the gate.

The rest of the day we spent on domestic stuff and walking Penny in Bluebell woods - she loves it.

Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment