Wednesday 2 November 2016

Out to sea at last !

Tuesday 1st of November 2016

A lovely hot sunny morning - perfect for a little test run out in the bay.
I spent an hour or more catching up with the blog then I consulted the gate opening times list and found that I had only 45 minutes to get out before it closed for most of the day - I quickly prepared the essentials and made out with time to spare.

To finish off preparation properly I took a waiting buoy just outside the marina - much better.


The forecast gave 4 knots of wind in the morning and 8 knots in the afternoon but I found no wind at all until I was nearly back in the marina !
I was navigating with the Ipad running the i sailor programme - very good but the power level drops rapidly so I fired up the inverter and put it on charge - it still lost power !!
So I turned it off when I could to allow it to charge - I will look for a better fast charger.


The engine ran sweetly and Blazer seemed to glide along without all that weed on the bottom - Great !

Then I noticed that the brand new depth instrument was erratic at times - like the old one was - I am still using the old transponder because it seamed to work fine but not now !
I will fit the new transponder and hope that sorts it out.

Then the new (secondhand) pc monitor went blank - it was running the Seapro navigation programme for a check on the Ipad and for tidal flows - very strong around here - 2 knots when I first came out.
It must be something simple - another little job !
The chart table monitor was fine so I still had tide information.

That's what this little run out was for - shakedown.

                                                            Bar ar Gall west cardinal buoy

I did hoist the main sail hoping to sail a bit but no chance.



It was lovely to be out in the hot sunshine just tootling along trying my best to avoid the masses of underwater rocks  in this bay

I spotted one lone dolphin about a quarter of a mile off - on a mission - going somewhere quickly - nice.

The gate re opened at 15.25 and I always give in half an hour for the inrush to settle down - so at 16.00 we were back on our berth.

A nice little trip out and a three jobs to sort out next time I come out - possibly next month.

A big clean up day tomorrow - Wednesday - then a 2am start on Thursday to be at Caen ferry port for 7am - home by 6pm with luck.

That's all for this trip - I will restart the blog when I return to Blazer - Soon !
Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment