Sunday 27 November 2016

Busy Week

Saturday 26th of November 2016

A busy week but little progress with the workshop !

Jobs completed this week -

A day spent in the office at home sorting all sorts and listing 10 items on Ebay.
A visit to IKEA, Nottingham, for a small chest of drawers for Nether Edge.
Trip to Sheffield to turn 5 big post for Bramhalls.
Stripped parts from the spares engine in the trailer and cleaned them up.
Another trip to Sheffield to repaint the bathroom ceiling at Nether Edge and cut 40 steel bars at the unit.

The site was gradually drying out nicely - so on Saturday I laid out the corner pins for the base.
Nice and square - a good access space at the fence side for painting - a generous space at the rear for storage and a good six feet between the workshop and summerhouse - perfect.

String lines all round show the valley that has to be filled with hardcore and compacted.
It is hard calculate the volume needed so a rough guess at eight tons ?
The grab truck can deliver it in bulk - a reclaimed, crushed brick / concrete 50mm to dust called reclaimed no. 1. - more barrowing !!!
It's a shame that I can't use the pile of slate chips that we raked up at the start but I'm sure that it won't compact down like hardcore - we will use it for top dressing at the end.
Better guess how much hardcore I need on the low side - I don't want any left over !!
It should be easier to shovel and rake into place than the muck - we will see !!!

I have found the best value wacker plate hire in Derby at £50 per week - not bad.

The rest of the heavy steel bars ( 24 inches long ) are to support the shuttering for the base once the site has been leveled.
Again - I have found a good value supplier in Ilkeston for plywood and external cladding - I will go and collect next week.

Today - I finished stripping the spares engine and draining the sump ready to take it to the scrap yard on Monday - messy job - then I washed all the oily parts in paraffin ready for repainting and storage - my hands will never be clean again !!
At least I will get my trailer back in service when the scrap has gone.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment