Wednesday 30 November 2016

Stressful Day !

Tuesday 29th of November 2016

The hardcore was due for delivery this morning but I didn't know when - so we started other jobs.

Jackie had asked me to take out the big gas cooker in the kitchen so that we could clean it and the recess that it fits in.

I also had a job - testing Zoie's gas cooker from Nether edge - the tenants said it would not get hot enough - so I bought a new one which they say works better.
Zoie's cooker has flame failure fitted - better for Jonathan than the one he has at the moment.
Once checked - I plan to swap it.

I pulled out the cooker - we cleaned the recess - Jackie emulsioned the wall to freshen it up - lovely.

Then it all went a bit pear shaped !

Zoie's cooker was in the summer house - I used the heavy sack barrow to move it into the kitchen but on the way up the path I didn't realise that the mains cable had grabbed the new path edge lights and broke two of them - plus it ripped the connection to the back of the cooker !!
The connection box was really fiddly to work with so it took a while to sort the connections.
I installed the cooker - all cleaned up - repaired the lights with epoxy glue.
All set for testing !!

Toad in the hole for tea - that should test it !!

The truck turned up at lunch time - a different driver - he said - I have brought you a good 10 tonnes !!

ARGHHHH !! - I said  that I didn't want more than I ordered - half a load - 9 tonnes ?

The truck appeared to be 3/4 full !! - he said that they had no way of measuring the weight - just guess work - so they guessed heavy.

Then he started to grab it off it looked like soil !!! - but when I checked it - it was full of crushed stone / brick.

In no time at all - I had an enormous pile on the drive that looked just like the pile that they took away !!!

A sit down with a pint of tea to reflect for a bit - then up and at em !

By 4pm ( getting dark ) - I had moved about 15 barrow loads - the hardcore should be OK - it is full of stone - I felt a lot better about it.

I have moved a corner of the pile and not filled the base area very much at all - so - I will wait and see how much I have left over - then puzzle how to get rid of it - Scott might use it at the lake - I could gradually move it with the trailer I suppose.

The wacker plate compactor arrives tomorrow for a week so I will see how much it packs down.

Toad in the hole was a good test - the Yorkshire Pudding didn't cook as it should - even with the cooker on number 9 - Houston - WE HAVE A PROBLEM !!

Mike.




No comments:

Post a Comment