Monday 31 July 2017

More Roof Work.

'Monday 31st of July 2017

Sunday was a day off from the workshop - family stuff and buying at a car boot - lovely.

Monday - a quick trip to Chesterfield to collect 6 rolls of roofing felt in my poor little car ( 200 kgs ) !!

First job was to trim the front edge flush to the first joist - then cut and fit the edge trim with mitred corners.

Next - I finished the first layer of underfelt.

Now ! - I had to carry full rolls of cap sheet up the ladder on my shoulder - Neil made it look easy the other day - not easy for me !! - 35 kilos - I made it - 5 times !!!.
Don't tell my orthopaedic surgeon !!

The cap sheet went on well - half the roll at a time - it stayed right on track - perfect.

I ran out of gas and had to run out to collect some - then the rain beat me at around 7 pm.

The last full roll has been cut to width but not laid yet.

That leaves just the last cross sheet - right at the front, to cut and fit to complete the cap sheet.

I will still have to cut and fit the edge cap sheet right around three edges to finish the roof completely.

The second quality felt that I have used is pretty good - just faults with the mineral chippings - a bit sparse on one sheet and the joint strip a bit narrow on the others - no big deal - the felt itself is really thick - well reinforced - no damage.- I have saved £250 by using it.

The weather is a bit mixed for the next day or so - I'm not sure when I will get it finished - I need the roof to be completely dry to lay the felt.

U tube helped me to learn a great technique with the torch - just the right amount of melting - no hot spots this time.


You can see the area with less than normal chippings on the right - it looks wet.

The cap sheet seems to drain well - so far - so good.

I'm not sure when we are going to Blazer - I will try to get the felt complete before we go if I can - dependant on the weather.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment