Sunday 30 July 2017

Water tight !

Saturday 29th of July 2017

No rain until this evening so - off with the big blue tarpaulin ( useless ) sweep off the small puddles and let it dry out in sunshine.

I marked out and trimmed the roof boards to give a six inch overhang.

Then I tilted the bandsaw table and cut 2 x1 slate lath to edge the roof with a slope for the felt to run up. - this will keep the water on the roof until it runs off the back edge.

With that screwed in place I checked the roof over and found the front edge to be a bit low - so I cut and fitted packing strips to the front edge - under the roof boards to sort it.

A trip out with Jackie - then I got ready to lay the first layer of under felt.

Neil helped to carry the heavy rolls up the ladder and then I set to using a technique that I saw on U tube that seemed very good at keeping the roll on the right track as you torch it on.
It worked !!

8 strips - parallel to the back edge - overlapped 3 inches all done by 9 pm !!

It started raining as I cleared up - WOW !!

I need more underfelt for one last strip - so I covered that with thick polythene for the heavy rain due last night.


This morning a bit damp on the roof - bone dry inside and the roof was dry in about an hour - I am well pleased.

I need to collect more felt - then maybe lay the top coat on Monday - no rain !!

Getting there.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment