Sunday 9 July 2017

Roof Work

Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th of July 2017

Sorry - still no photos - my main computer is still off line - this ipad will not load photos.

On Friday I went to my unit in Sheffield to collect my big bandsaw in the trailer - 150 kilos and six feet tall !

All went well with a little help from the guys in unit 5.

The journey to Derby went well - Scott, James and Kane helped to unload it and trundle it to the workshop on a small steel trolley on Saturday.

I assembled it but could not run it because it needs a 16 amp supply and my roll of heavy cable was locked in Neil's shed until Saturday evening.

When he returned - I made up a long lead and away it went - lovely.

To test it - I cut all the floorboard and skirting from Barry's into lengths for kindling and then chopped it all up - tidy.

Sunday - a late start - collecting 4 fire doors from Burton-on-Trent.
20.5 inches by 80 - to make double doors 41 inches wide - £15 each on eBay
They will be great for sound proofing - very heavy.

Plus - cleaning the area at the side of the house with Jackie

Then I set up a 12 foot run out table behind the bandsaw and cut the graduated strips for the roof fall
Each joist needs a strip fixed on top of it - starting at 95 mm and reducing by 5 mm each joist with nothing on the last one.
This gives a fall of 1 in 80 for rain to run off the back of the roof - over the back fence into what was once a ditch.
I managed to cut and fix over half of the strips in really hot sunshine - ( hard work ).
The bandsaw worked fine - still on the little trolley - with 4 wedges holding it in position.

Back at Barry's on Monday - the roof sheets arrive at 3 pm Monday.- 14 sheets of OSB3 at 18mm.
I also picked up 4 rolls of roofing felt from an ebay seller in Chesterfield - less than half price - factory seconds - but good!
4 more rolls needed to finish the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment