Thursday 16 June 2016

Blazer Repairs

Tuesday 14th June 2016

Up early on Tuesday - my neighbour ( Jean-Francois ) was kind enough to lend me his new mast climbing gear for me to remove my unserviceable radar antenna.

It is a webbing ladder that you hoist up the mast with sliders that fit in the sail groove.
At first I didn't have it tensioned enough but once that was sorted - UP I WENT !!

I had a sit harness with a safety device on a separate line - also tensioned - which worked well - I slid it up the rope as I climbed the ladder.

It took just a couple of minutes to climb to the spreaders and I felt perfectly safe all the time.




                                                               Just got to the spreaders

I loosened the 4 bolts holding the radar to the bracket and then climbed higher to stand on the spreader arms in order to disconnect the wiring.


                 In this position I was very comfortable for the delicate job of disconnecting the cable.

I hoisted up a big plastic bucket - put the radar in it and lowered it to the deck - Jean-Francois covered it up - then it rained - boy did it rain !!!

I climbed down easily but like a drowned rat !!

Job done - very pleased - I can take the radar home and repair it at leisure and avoid costly dealer repairs.

I have been in contact with Furuno and they have suggested what the problem might be.


I didn't take a camera up with me but Jean-Francois did, the day before, when he went to the top of his mast.

That's Blazer on the left - quite a view !! - not bad - climbing the mast at 67 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment