Monday 18 September 2017

The Doors Are On !!

Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th of September 2017

On Saturday afternoon I devised a method for cutting the hinge recesses in the door frames and the doors themselves - 24 recesses in total - that would be a long job with a chisel !!



I have never cut hinge recesses with a router before but I saw a clip on you tube that looked easy.
I set up my light weight hand router ( lovely) with an 8 mm dia cutter - adjusted it to about 3mm deep.

Then I cut a plywood jig that gave me the width and depth of the hinge on the frame and all the way through on the door.

It worked well !!

The back flap hinges needed about 4mm cutting off one side ( hacksaw !) and 2 new holes dilling and countersinking on each side - ( my cheap bench pillar drill did a great job )

The fire doors are heavy - so three hinges in each with 3 - 50mm screws in each half right through the casing and into the frame - solid !!


I managed to hang one door on Saturday on my own - what a struggle - a heavy door wobbling about while I marked the hinge positions !!

Sunday - I called for some help and Jackie's sister brought her partner John to help - He is a retired joiner and it made a big difference.

The hinges really worked well - allowing the doors to open right back with good clearance for the cladding and architrave - Great !!


The left hand doors were set flush with the sheathing to allow the shiplap cladding to fit flush to both the doors and the sheathing.


The right hand doors have the casing set forwards for the shiplap to butt up to it.

I am very pleased with the result - all four doors hung neatly - even gaps - no twist.
I love it when a plan comes together !

It took all weekend to get to this point - hard work !

The doors have simple turn buckles holding them from flapping around.
Next job is to fit stop laths and hardware.

From my stock of hardware - I have galv bolts for the left and door - a black jap horizontal bolt for the one next to it.
Brass bolts for the left hand centre door and nice handles for the far right hand door.

I might have a door closer for that door in Sheffield and I need to buy a good mortise dead lock for it.

Urgent job next - primer on the doors - before the ply wood suffers in the rain.

Very pleased with the result - Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment