Sunday 25 June 2017

Roof Joists On

Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th of June 2017

A good weather weekend ( Light drizzle Sunday ) and I managed to buy lots more material -
So - I set about finishing the roof joists.


All twenty joists are now in place - one noggin central and two screws at each end.

All neat and tidy - but I still have four joist to trim to length on the front right hand side.

Derby Timber Supplies didn't have enough CLS timber for my order and so gave me tanalised instead - very good quality !


The joists are all set level - to give me a level ceiling and so now I have to cut and fit graduated fairing pieces to each joist to give a 1 in 80 fall front to back.
That nicely works out at 5mm less on each joist starting with 95mm at the front - showing the first one set in place on the porch overhang.

I still have to fit all the cross bracing ties to the new joists and I will have to get a few more to finish off - a lot of nailing !!

I also ordered all the external wall sheathing - 17 sheets of 11mm OSB2 but they were short of that stock as well - I got 5 sheets with the balance to follow.
When I fit that to the outside of the walls it will stiffen up the whole building which is a bit wobbly right now.
OSB2 is not water proof and so I need to keep it covered until fitted - then install the Tyvek Housewrap as soon as I can.

This is the nearly full roll that I collected last weekend on Our way to Essex.
A great bargain at £25 instead of £120 !!

It is very strong - thin - waterproof membrane plus vapour control - clever stuff.

More info at -

http://www.dupont.co.uk/products-and-services/construction-materials/tyvek-building-envelope/brands/tyvek-breather-membrane/products/tyvek-housewrap-breathable-membrane-for-walls.html

Other jobs completed - We removed a fence panel behind the workshop and cut back the boundary hedge - a big job - lots of cuttings to shred and take to the tip in my poor little car - but all done.

I plan to remake the fence behind the workshop in a way that has polycarbonate clear sheet windows above the fence sealed to the roof that will overhang the fence for rain water run off into the hedge / ditch that used to there and I believe once led into Chaddesden brook !!
That will give dry storage behind the workshop for garden tools plus keep the back wall of the workshop dry in the prevailing wind - note - that's what rotted the summer house back wall.

Another purchase last week - a Romesse pot belly wood stove - £50 on ebay - starting bid win.
It is probably 60 years old but in great shape.

It is made from, stack together, parts that match my stove in Sheffield which has parts that are worn out.
I can mix and match the best bits from both and sell the rest of it.
The grate alone is nearly new and they cost £100 I am so pleased to have it.

The part I really want is the top section - that is a flat top on my original stove and has worn / rusted to be very thin - NOTE - the flat top version was for signal boxes and were flat on top to boil a kettle.
This one is the traditional shape - no kettle facility !!

Good progress all round - Next weekend we are busy helping Fiona move back to Derby and Zoie is having another fund raising event so - maybe little or no progress perhaps.

Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment