Thursday 15 December 2016

Base Shuttering

Week - 13th to 16th December 2016

Tuesday - rained - I visited Derby Timber supplies and bought the 19mm shuttering ply for the former - a good price at £ 22.50 including them cutting it into 5 inch by 8 foot strips.
I like the company - but they are a bit limited by what they stock and they could not quote for the sizes I need for the big build - never mind.

Wednesday - lovely warm sunny day - I joined all the boards end to end - made up enough for the whole perimeter from my stock and set one end.

I set the boards by driving the 16mm by 2 foot steel rods into the ground every 2 feet on the outside of the board and fixing the boards by 2 plastic wrap around pipe clips and 7/8 inch raised head screws - solid.

Thursday - I set the rest of the shutter - Jackie helped me to take the levels and - we are short of hardcore in various places around the edge - good job I still have a huge pile - lol.

I also cut timbers and braced the boards to the gravel boards on two sides and the path edge on another - just leaves the front - but that edge has extra steel rods - I might not brace that edge.

It all looks very solid - checked for square - not bad - the levels are within 5 mm all round - the dumpy level has been fantastic - I couldn't have done it without it.

Friday - up to Sheffield - cutting firewood - moving the last of my stuff out of unit 5 - then go and see my son Jonathan.

This weekend - I plan to fill in the hardcore - tamp it down - then the remainder of the pile can go to the lake on Monday.

I also plan to strip paint from the dinghy hull and sheath the whole underwater part in fibre glass - the materials should arrive on Friday.

Another productive week.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment