Wednesday 26 October 2016

More Maintenance

Wednesday 26th of October 2016

A damp and misty start today so I decided to work inside.
I dismantled the engine cover and took off the pipe that lets cooling water into the cylinder block.
The last time I took it off was a couple of months ago and it was blocked then with salt deposits - it's not easy to take off because one of the two Allen bolts is in an awkward spot but after 20 minutes - I got it off !
It was blocked solid again !!
I cleaned it and refitted it - I must devise a way to flush out the sea water when I'm leaving Blazer for long periods.

Blazer desperately needs to be lifted out for hull cleaning and anti fouling - it is long overdue - the weed growth blocks the cooling water inlet and yes - it was blocked today !
I tried to clear it from inside but a lump of weed was acting like a flap valve and I could not shift it.
I tried to reach under the hull with the mop - no good - I tried a long cane - no good - the curve of the hull was stopping the cane reaching the spot.
So I took measurements of where the inlet is inside and marked up the hull outside and noted that it was 40 inches under the hull. - I taped an empty pop bottle to the mop and marked the handle at 40 inches.
I was able to reach under - in the right spot - and the bottle held the mop tight to the hull - Got it !!!
It only took an hour !!
I must book a lift out - SOON.
The engine ran well and temperature was good - sorted for now.

I swapped the oil pressure switch for a new one - I noticed that the original had a loose spade terminal and although it worked OK - I wanted to swap it - DONE.

Next job - varnishing.
As part of the clean up prior to leaving Blazer to go home last time I cleaned the galley cupboard doors to remove some grease spots - I used neat bleach and it removed the grease and some of the varnish as well !!
So I might as well re-varnish all the galley and engine cover woodwork !
I used my orbital sander to prepare the big areas and the triangle detail sander for the corners and awkward bits - then hoovered up all round.
I use an oil that I have tested and its great for inside woodwork but outside it looses the colour with sunlight and goes transparent within 12 months.
I quickly applied one coat and what a difference - lovely - but it will want another two coats at least.

Not a bad result for the day - I'm pleased that I'm getting the bigger messy jobs done when I'm here on my own.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment