Thursday 27 October 2016

Lifting Out

Thursday 27th of October 2016

I realised that it might be possible to lift Blazer out this weekend even though I haven't planned to.
So this morning I set about checking if it is possible.

First - the forecast is for a dry weekend for painting.
Then I found that the local chandler can get an affordable anti fouling paint by tomorrow.
Then I asked at the office if they can lift Blazer out - no problem - 9 am Friday until 3pm Monday.
I booked the hire of the powerful pressure washer.
Then I went to Tregestel Bricolage - ( a big DIY / marine store ) and bought a roller and tray - plus - I found hinges for the gas locker door !

I have on board -
Old overalls.
Good quality masking tape.
Paint brushes.
New anodes.
A small tin of red anti fouling paint for the waterline strip - (boot top ).

All sorted !!

I spent the afternoon preparing Blazer - the lifting rig here is unusual - I will have to remove the back stay!!
It holds the mast up  but with swept back spreaders the we will be OK without it for the lifting.
I lowered the boom and settled it on the guard wires cushioned.
I cleared the jack stays and halyards.
I measured the tensioners on the back stay so that I can tighten them back up to the same tension afterwards.
I will go around to the lifting spot early to get ready.
I went to see the crane driver and asked if it mattered which way they want me to moor up - NO - any way is good.

So- I'm all set -  4 days  on the hard standing for the price of  2  because its the weekend - great.

I have never left it so long between lifting out - it must be 3 years at least - I can see a lot of growth on the keels that just has to come off.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment