Sunday 4 October 2015

A Recovery Day

Saturday 3rd October

A slow start after the night before - then not much to report - Jackie sunbathing / resting / reading in the hot sunshine.
Me pottering  -

I did attend to one job -

The night before we had a carbon monoxide alarm - low level - but a concern - I checked the cooker and turned off the battery charger + ventilated the boat.

I was unsure if the batteries had survived the 7 months - no charge - they seamed to come up to charge OK but kept charging at around 2.5 amps - not much for 4 big batteries 0.8 amps each  ( I thought ).
They normally taper off to 0.5 amps  or less.

I checked the pair under the pilot berth - THEY WERE HOT AND GASSING A LOT !!!
Batteries should never be hot - so switched to the small starter battery and checked electrolyte levels - OK.
Then checked each cell with the hydrometer and found two flat cells in each battery.
THEY ARE SHOT !! - but at least 5 years old - so not too bad.
I isolated that pair and ventilated all the hydrogen away while they cooled and stopped gassing.

Good job I checked - Hydrogen in quantity can be very explosive !!

I will check the other - newer pair in the cockpit locker tomorrow - a lot of stuff to move !!

I did another little job - I repaired my little lamp shade for the light house lamp at my side of the bedroom.
Poorly made - Held together by sticky tape.
I dug out my hot melt glue gun and tacked it together with shots of glue - then re fitted the tape - better than new !

Comfort food dinner tonight - Steak - mash & green beans.
Hot crepes with cherry jam / honey - lovely.

Our Internet connection was poor through the day and I realised it was Strictly day - I'm in trouble again !
I tried the TV app - It worked !!
Then I realised that in all the re shuffling of USB plugs the other day, I ended up with the Internet  dongle in the faster USB2 hub.

We managed 2 sessions of catch up and the full live broadcast - overdose !!
Still a poor picture and sound out of sinc - but Jackie managed.
I escaped to the bedroom reading - so not too bad.

Mike and Jackie.

No comments:

Post a Comment