Tuesday 15 August 2017

The Roof Is Finished !

Tuesday 15th of August 2017

A hot sunny day - ideal for finishing the roof edges.

In the morning I helped to tidy up the garden and decided to do battle with the monster logs that need cutting into firewood blocks on the bandsaw.

I changed blades to a 4 teeth per inch blade - a new one - and with Jackies help we moved firewood from the drying rack to the "ready to use " rack - now full - this freed up space on the drying rack.

Ready to use rack outside the back door.

We cut three big chunks of the poplar logs - right at my lifting limit and the bandsaw at maximum cutting depth - 500 mm !!!

The last log needed cutting in half with the chainsaw which - for once - cooperated !!

So by lunch time - all cut - cleaned up - all stacked drying for winter after next !!
Lots more space on the drying rack for more of the firewood and literally tons of it still to cut !!
It was a small lorry load of one poplar tree we bought 6 months ago - it will keep us warm for a year or two !!

Drying rack at the side of the house.

Next - I got set up - cut more strips of cap sheet felt at 5 inches and started torching it on to the edges all round three sides of the roof.

I started with a small propane torch, very controllable - but it kept blowing out and it was too slow really.

I swapped onto the big hand torch and turned it down as far as I could but it was still hard to control - the felt easily got too hot and as soon as you touch it the tar comes through and makes a mess !!

I persevered and completed all three edges by 7 pm.


 From a distance it looks good but close up there are a few marks where I patted it down when it was too hot !! - it is perfectly water tight and should give years of good service - that's what matters. 

The very top edge of the filet around the roof turns horizontal and the felt will not turn that little corner and stick down properly which would be a poor joint to the facia board.
I worked out a solution - I will fix a half inch quadrant bead to the top edge of the facia board and hook that over the troublesome felt - that will pull it down into place and create a good edge seal.
I plan to paint the facia boards on the back before fitting which should preserve the little quadrant.

So - the roof is finished - wonderful!!

Now I can think about the front of the workshop and how to make it look attractive with a WOW factor.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment