Monday 1 October 2012

Rough Seas.

A close shave.

Sunday 30th September.

Planning for this trip gave winds for today at 15 to 20 knots in the morning and 15 to 30 knots in the afternoon. I know 30 knots is a lot - force 7 - but with is being SW it would be friendly - so I thought.

A 05.30 start - not good - a soon as I dropped the mooring rope and motored in the dark into the middle of the harbour I saw that the plotter screen was frozen.

This first part of the navigation is crucial - between rocks on either side of the fairway out to sea.

I reverted to plan B and used the leading lights to line up the track out to sea - then the plotter started to work a bit to confirm we were ok.

Once about half a mile out, I put the tiller pilot on - went below and rebooted the PC - success!!

The rest of the morning was wonderful - warm - light wind - smooth passage through both shipping lanes.

Then at half way the wind slowly picked up - I was motor sailing with full genoa and making 7 knots over the ground.

Then the waves that were overtaking me from behind started to build - 2 metres - then 3 metres.

By the time we were 8 miles off the Needles they were 4 metres!

We were tending to start broaching a bit so I put away the sail - put the engine to full.

The wind picked up to 28 to 30 knots and the tiller pilot could not cope - I hand steered.

Blazer rode the big waves as they came from behind but when on top the rudder lost it's grip and we turned sharply and slid down the back at an angle with full opposite rudder!

She sorted herself out - lined up again and same again.

As she slipped down the back of the wave she went over to an alarming angle and it took a lot to hold on and steer.

Then it got much worse - as we approached the Needles the seas built to about 5 metres and I could barely hang on! - On one broach I flew from the port coaming across the cockpit and thought - this is going to hurt.
But somehow\the deck came up to meet me and I was shaken but not hurt!!

It took every ounce of strength and skill to pass the buoys that show the Needles channel and then slowly it calmed down for the run up to Yarmouth.

In to Yarmouth at 18.00 - 12.5 hours! - Shattered.

After a good sleep and plenty of good food I'm now OK.

It looks like we might be here for a while because the wind is even stronger for the rest of this week.

We will plan more carefully this time.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment