Saturday 1 September 2012

Onward to Alderney

                                              The light house at Cap dela Hauge.

Saturday 1st September

Strong tides

This trip was planned and read about more than any so far - the reason is the fierce currents that run around this part of the Cherbourg peninsular.

My navigation programme said that if I left at 13.30 yesterday I would get to Braye harbour on Alderney just  before the tide turns.

I left at 13.00.

Hot and sunny with force 3 to 4 North westerly which meant we had to suffer wind against a massive tide - hang on to your hats!

It was very lumpy from the start and the wind was right on the nose  - engine on - plenty of revs and tried the foresail.

We were doing well at 8 knots over the ground but to get the sail to draw i was having to close the coast.

I persevered for an hour but in the end I put the sail away and we didn't slow down much.

I t got very lumpy off the headland in the picture above but not a problem.

I was warned from all sources not get swept down the Alderney race which runs south between Aldeney and France.

As soon as we passed the headland the full force of the tide hit us
.

Normally Blazer can manage 5 Knots under engine 6 at a push.

You can see from the photo 11.3 knots!! due West.

A few minutes later we were pointing towards a waypoint North West of Braye harbour but our track showed us going quickly South to wards Guernsey !!!

I turned Blazer North - full power - our track then was sideways at 7 knots - unbelievable !!!

We were beating the South going current thank goodness and making the proper course.

                                                        Alderney about 5 miles off

As we got nearer Alderney the force reduced and allowed me to gradually point to our destination.

We picked up the approach track in to Braye at about 2 miles off and I ran up the Q flag to say we needed to clear customs - never done that before.

The track avoids the submerged breakwater and rocks on the other side - We followed it spot on.

Into Braye 30 minutes ahead of schedule and picked up a visitors buoy first pass - great.

I was shaking!! with all the lumpy seas and pin point navigation.

It's a bit rolly here in the moorings but manageable.

In to Town today to explore.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment