Tuesday 4 September 2012

Alderney

                                                     Little Crabby Harbour - Braye

Braye harbour - Alderney.

1st & 2nd September.

Braye harbour proper is through the gap in the sea wall above.

The photo shows the inner harbour - very shallow at low water and only for small local boats.

The main harbour is big with 70 visitors berths all buoys ( no pontoons).

Most yachts use their dinghy to get ashore but mine is a real handful to blow up and pack away.

I used the water taxi ( £1.50 each way - not bad)

The problem with Braye harbour is that it is wide open to the North east and they do get North easterly gales in winter.

It's very rolly and in a gale mooring lines can and do break.

                                                                 Braye Chippy

Exploring at the weekend I discovered Alderney to very British.

English spoken everywhere.

English currency including pound notes ( Alderney ones)

English food in the shops - no French.

Real ale in the pubs - Spitfire & Black sheep on draught!

Amazing!

                                                   The view from the saloon on Blazer.

There is one shop , a couple of hotels & a good seafood restaurant near the harbour with the only town 3/4 of a mile up the hill - St Annes.

A very nice old town - one main street - lots of small shops - I bought a big crab and good Organic brown bread great!

Sunday - planning.

I could go to Jersey next - a day sail - but I have be back home on Saturday.

I wondered about leaving Blazer here for a while - Checked with the harbour master and struck a half price deal for a month!

I doubt that I would get a deal that good in Jersey - it's a proper marina and full year round, I understand - they do't have to do deals.

I found the local airline - Aurigny - flew to Southampton every day at reasonable price.

The train from Southampton to Sheffield very cheap.

I went for it!

I had the little chandlery make up a really heavy duty mooring strop so that Blazer now has two holding her to the mooring.

I battened everything down well and Travelled home on Monday 3rd of September.

Back in two or three weeks.

As the taxi took me to the airport we were able to look down on the sea to the west of Alderney.

It's called the Swinge and is dotted with all kind of Rocks.

It is notorious for the dangerous currents and very rough water.

It was spring tides and the current could be seen flying past the rocks going North.

You would have no chance of surviving that in Blazer!

I've never seen anything like it - Wow.

When I get back it's serious planning again and I think the other side in the Alderney race might be the best bet - a lot less rocks for a start!

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment