Monday 5 February 2018

February Update

Monday 5th of February 2018

Since the last post - 

The holiday went well - ate and drank too much - lots of sunshine - great place - I feel rested.

A new year thing - cutting down on food and drink - its working - I have lost quite a few pounds so far !!

Fiona's project - I made and installed the dog wash station - she is over the moon with it.
I still have odds and ends to complete but no rush.

Barry's project - back on site two weeks ago - the nasty plumbing problem sorted - a good result - laminate floor - part removed and now relayed - paintwork to touch up - pretty good.



PVC cladding -

Shiplap 150mm wide pinned with stainless pins and the edges with a neat trim.

The hardest part of the job was getting the heavy fibre cement panels down on my own.
I rigged a rope block screwed to the fascia board - lifted the panel - then slid it down the ladder - it worked but not easy.

I still have the right hand one to do - but I have already removed the panel.

I also installed new PVC sills under the cladding.

Workshop project -
The one job that I have managed is to remove the wood burner stove from my unit in Sheffield and install it in the workshop.


It is a 1950's Romesse stove in cast iron that I bought on Ebay about 8 years ago.
It is a rare "Flat Top " Romesse typical of the ones in signal boxes - the flat top was to boil a kettle.

In Sheffield the stove suffered from water seeping down the flue which heavily rusted the top section.
So much rust that I thought it must be very thin by now.
For that reason, I bought another Romesse on Ebay,  ( £50 ) that had a traditional top section in good order - but when I came to install my old stove I realised that despite the rust it was better in every respect than the newer one !!
Needless to say - I have installed the flue here so that no water seeps down onto the stove - it should last another 100 years or so now !!

The new one can be restored to good order and re sold on Ebay at a good profit.

It is now lovely and warm in the workshop which has helped with painting my current project.

Note - I'm burning all the scrap floor boards and skirting saved from all the work last year !!

Dinghy for Blazer project -

This is a very old sailing Dinghy that I bought in a hurry - then found defects that needed attention.
So this winter - on the roof of my poor little car - to derby and into the workshop.

I have removed the moulding for the keel board and glassed over the hole.
Changed the thwart ( seat ) for a new piece of Larch.
Re built the transom with an Iroko motor mount board - Oak gunwale reinforcement and all glassed heavily to the buoyancy chamber ( it was flapping around before !! )
I have added a water tight box for engine tools and spares + an anchor.
I have also added a pair of little wheels to the stub keel to help launching.
It has had three coats of household white gloss to the outside and one coat inside so far.
I also added an inspection hatch to the buoyancy chamber to dry out the saturated foam in there !!

I am very pleased with it now - I still have to -
Re fit the heavy rope fender right round.
Buy and fit vinyl lettering ( T/T BLAZER )
Get it back to Essex before someone pinches my spot in the dinghy rack !!

All for now - Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment