Sunday 3 December 2017

A Visit to Blazer

Wednesday 29th of November 2017


A 5 am start - but heavy traffic - I arrived at North Fambridge at around 10 am.
Blazer was on the mooring in the river - so no option - I had to use the dinghy to get out to her !
I got the key from the clubhouse for the outboard store - loaded my ancient outboard and fuel to a trolley - then lugged it to the dinghy storage area.

The dinghy's were scattered a bit - probably the high winds - then I noticed that my oars were missing!
I have not used them yet - and I don't remember what they look like ?
I found one aluminium oar near my dinghy - probably mine - not sure !
I launched the dinghy with the outboard on - easily started the engine - then set off across 150 yards of river on tick over - lovely.
A bit tricky getting on board but OK.

Blazer was fine - no problems.
I opened the engine cooling sea cock and managed to start the engine, just - with batteries switched to BOTH - only for a minute or so !!

I let go of the mooring ropes and motored over to the visitors pontoon in a stiff breeze.
Blazer was very sluggish - probably the heavy weed growth on her bottom !!



I lit the coal stove and soon warmed Blazer through - connected to shore power - the batteries started a full charge.

I checked all the systems - all working fine - very reassuring.

Thursday - I shopped for CLS timber and some bolts to make a big frame to fit on the car roof rack - made to measure for the dinghy.
I wanted to take it home for fibreglass repair and general renovation in the new workshop.

I dragged the dinghy onto the pontoon and then managed to load it - upturned - onto a pontoon trolley.
I then - very slowly - in the bitter cold wind - pushed it all the way to the car park.

I lashed the frame to the roof rack with heavy duty tie wraps - then heaved the dinghy up onto it.

I secured it with two ratchet straps - direct to the roof rack - solid.


 Friday - I visited the office in the marina to book a lift out for the winter - they will do that for me - maybe next week.
The price of £225 one way - includes pressure washing.
I agreed with the manager for them to pick Blazer up from the pontoon.

I cleaned Blazer inside - made her safe to leave - then set off for home at 11 am.
A steady drive home at 55mph and I was safely home at 15.30.

I now happy that the batteries are charged - no bad weather damage and the dinghy project on the way.

Sad to leave my little bit of paradise - Mike.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Only thing. Batteries. We used to take them out over winter to cycle them to keep them fresh. Full of Envy. Miss my Sailing boat. Keep looking out for her in the sales pages but nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Graham - My plan is to visit regularly through the winter - lots of projects - I will have mains power on to keep the batteries topped up.

      Delete
  2. Thought you would have a plan. Have a great Christmas both of you.

    ReplyDelete