Wednesday 4 January 2017

Yarmouth to Eastbourne

Monday 2nd and Tuesday 3rd of January 2017

I studied the tides, the weather and route and came to the conclusion that the best all round solution was to leave Yarmouth at 21.00 Monday - the wind was due to go down in strength and the tide would give me a fast passage - but if I stopped off at Chichester, to anchor for the night, then I would be stuck there, in strong Northerly winds in an open anchorage - not good - so I decided not to stop and to do the next two legs in one go.
It would be 80 miles - 16 hours - mainly at night - I have never done that before - WOW.

A concern was the first 2 metres !!
Someone had parked a £million + yacht right behind me - as I let go of the line the strong wind would blow me backwards onto him, even if I ran to the cockpit to hit the power.
Solution - To power forward before I let go, with enough power to overcome the wind and current in the marina. - I spent a long time arranging the lines ready for off.

I went into Yarmouth town - had a good lunch - then back to Blazer to get some sleep before the off - No Chance !! - I was too wound up - Ha Well !!

I was ready for 9 pm - let go - it worked - thank goodness !!

As soon as we left the marina the tide pushed us along at around 7 knots - heading for Cowes and traffic - lots of it - a massive bulk carrier - a car transporter - then a very garish cruise liner, lit up in multicoloured lights and flashing strobe lights - I managed to stay out of there way OK.

The wash from the car transporter was huge but luckily I saw it coming and held on tight - wham !! it knocked us over - things crashed about below but no damage.

It was forecast to be a clear night - no fog but bitterly cold - I was wearing my warmest gear - 4 layers plus a balaclava and ski gloves.

We turned East and plodded on through the main shipping area of the very busy Solent - numerous smaller ships all around - my AIS working well - showing me which way the ships were going and how close they would get to me and when - fabulous.

Nearly all the ships turn South on the Eastern side of the Isle of White past the Nab tower - heading for the Channel shipping lanes - I had to negotiate the ships and loads of channel marker buoys - all lit - no problem but I had to look out all the time.

After the South bound lane things settled down and tide slowed down - pushing us less and less - then it started against us - I knew it would and it can't be helped on such a long trip - but my fantastic computer program for sailing said that I was doing it at the most efficient time.

It got colder still so I filled a hot water bottle and shoved that inside my sailing suit and put on another hat on top of the balaclava - better.

A few small ships passed  me going the other way and about 3am I saw a lot of lights approaching from the South - I couldn't work out what it was or how far away it was - I needed my radar for that and it's broken.
My AIS didn't pick it up either.
It got bigger and bigger heading straight for us, I thought, then it started to turn to go the opposite way to us. us - it was MASSIVE - a huge cruise ship all lit up with white lights - then my AIS woke up and said it was QUEEN ELIZABETH - the biggest liner in the world !!  

We pressed on - a bit monotonous - I passed the time making hot drinks and eating snacks from my goodie coolbox lashed in the corner.

About 6am the sky started to lighten a tiny bit and the wind picked up from behind - I had the Genoa up nearly all night doing very little - but now it helped the push us along a bit plus the tide had turned again and it started to help us along again too.

As it came light I spotted a Wind farm under construction - not on the charts!! - Massive - I consulted the Internet and found it to be the Rampion wind farm - 116 turbines - 3 £ billion project.
I turned South to pass it on the seaward side at that point we were 17 miles off shore.

A bright, clear and sunny morning but still bitterly cold.

One or two big fishing boats  around but not in our way.

We were off the South Downs heading for Beechy Head - our turning point for Eastbourne. 

The wind picked up a lot more now and we started sailing proper - heading in towards Beechy Head - lovely !!

I planned to be tucked up in Sovereign  Marina well before the forecast gale came in and the coast guard kept telling us it was due !!

We found the safe water buoy outside the marina no bother - called them on the radio and they gave me instructions for entry into the big lock.

Safely moored up on D pontoon at 2pm  - 17 hours WOW !!

I sorted things out and crashed out in bed by 4pm and slept through to 7 am - I was tired.

The weather is not ideal for the next couple of days so it might be Friday for the next leg to Ramsgate.

All for now - Mike.  

No comments:

Post a Comment