Saturday 5 January 2019

More Work at Fiona's

October 2018

Fiona and family have been in the new house for a year now and it became clear that an upgrade was needed to the conservatory.
The ceramic floor tiles were uneven - unattractive and had to go !
The sliding door to the kitchen limited the dining space and only opened half the opening.

I was asked if I could lay a new laminate floor - NO PROBLEM.

The job then expanded significantly - (as they do ).
Here is what I accomplished.


Fiona's son Jack removed the patio doors and frame neatly.
Luckily the floor levels were only 25 mm different - I framed the aperture with 19mm ply and a custom made threshold to account for the two floor levels.
Taurus architrave framed the conservatory side.
This opened up the dining space niceley.


The TV was in the right hand corner on top of a chest of drawers - not ideal.
I moved it to the left hand side - installed hidden sockets for power and Sky cables.
I extended the Sky cable and routed them through the threshold and behind skirting.
I made a floating shelf for the Sky box in pine to match the other wood trims.

There was a defunct air conditioner through the brick wall below the TV - I removed it and framed up a cubby hole for a candle feature using 19mm ply.
I replastered the Tv wall to blend in the new features.


I managed to find 23 matching bricks locally and rebuilt the short wall behind the cubby hole.

I then laid the new laminate floor which went well - trimmed with new 5 inch Taurus skirting.

I swapped all the sockets for much nicer metal ones with hidden screws.

James redecorated throughout - the result was very pleasing - Fiona was very happy.

I then went on to install a proper power supply to the summer house - SWA cable - breaker board - the lot.

The last job was to rebuild the porch on the wall above the back door - it was a mess - falling off the wall - badly made etc.
I took it down - rebuilt it - refixed it with 5 10mm Rawl bolts - it won't fall off now !!
I re glazed it with reclaimed polycarbonate sheets - fitted a new gutter and fall pipe - then trimmed each end with PVC foam board and angle trim.
Fresh Flashband sealed it to the brickwork.
I gave the woodwork a coat of grey cuprinol colours - looks good.

A lot of work altogether - about 6 weeks in total - all done now.
I even managed to squeeze in sorting out overloaded sockets in the utility room as well - safe now.

No more projects for family for a long spell now - I started renovating my flat in Sheffield in November - NOW THAT'S A LOT OF WORK.

Mike.

1 comment:

  1. keeping busy. You will be ready for Blackpool break. LOL

    ReplyDelete