Thursday 15 March 2018

Nether Edge House - Refresh

Thursday 15th of March 2018


                                               My house in Nether Edge - Sheffield.

This house has been rented to an American family for the last two years and inevitably it needs a lot of TLC even though they left it in reasonable condition !!

I gave myself two weeks to do the work but was delayed starting - then the new tenants asked if they could move in two days early !

The work consisted of -

Jackie did a great job of refreshing the white emulsion in the lounge and stairs - plus touching up the kitchen and other rooms.

Lots of work in the kitchen -

Two floor tiles replaced and the rest re-grouted.
A new centre light fitted.
Cooker hood deep cleaned and a new filter fitted.
The oven deep cleaned.
All the appliances moved to clean underneath.
Back door re hung to fit better.
Cupboards cleaned out properly.
Under cupboard lights - new bulbs / tubes fitted.


The original tumble drier that we had for years was a gas one ( rare ) - it had its vent pipe on the right.
All electric ones seem to have the vent on the left which gave the previous tenants a problem.
I core drilled the wall - carefully missing the socket wires - and fitted a new vent kit on the left.

The new tenants asked if they can bring a cat - so - I fitted two new cat flaps to match the woodwork.

There was a bad stain on one of the main bedroom wardrobe doors - so I repainted a pair so that they match.

The biggest job was to remove the electric shower in the bathroom and fit a thermostatic shower valve.
The new boiler can easily power a shower - so it will be much more efficient with a new one.

I lifted the boards in the cupboard behind the shower to get access to the pipework and discovered a leak !!
It was only a drip but I am so glad I found it.
It was from the centre of a copper pipe ( not a joint ) that I re used when I put in the new boiler two years ago.
It had corroded through !!

I swapped the pipe and piped up the new valve.
I had to replace 5 white tiles where the electric shower was fitted and I removed the feed cable back to the pull switch - all tidy.

The new shower will be unaffected by the seasonal water temperatures and won't go hot if someone turns on a tap !!

In the event the new tenants didn't move in on Monday - they just signed up then - so I had a few extra days to finish off more little jobs -

Emptying the garage of all the rubbish that the previous tenants left ( 4 tip runs )
Repainting the outside of the porch and conservatory woodwork.

So - it is a lot of effort to turn around the house - lets hope the new tenants stay for a few years !!

Mike.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Mike. New Tenants will get a nicely presented house

    ReplyDelete