Saturday 28 May 2016

New Walks

Friday 27th May 2016





                                                 Ille Grande - looking towards Trebeurden

We looked for a new walk today on Ille Grande - starting at the port car park - taking the coast path.
Its only a small island - roughly 3 or 4 square miles - called an island because you access it over a little bridge !

Overcast morning but warm - Penny was into everything.

                                                         Sitting still for the photo !



                                                               Lots of wild flowers


Lots of hikers about today - we made our way to an old quarry ( disused ) now converted to a bird sanctuary with an RSPB style building.

                                                               Bird sanctuary

Back to the car park - we found a woman selling fish - direct from the fisherman.

                                                                         Fish stall

She said that she is there every weekday - in the mornings - she had spider crabs at 6 Euros per kilo - normal crabs at 8 - lots of lobsters - all about half a kilo in weight at 25 per kilo - and two boxes of big fish like haddock at 10 per kilo - from what we saw later at the supermarket she was selling at a couple of Euros less than supermarket prices - All the shellfish were live - very fresh.


                                                            Tregestrel port

                                                              It has a lovely beach.

                                                     Beach front restaurant - ( posh )

We stopped for coffee at the posh restaurant overlooking the beach - 7 Euros !!! - we must bring a flask  - lol.

The sun came out ( hot ) at lunch time - back on board we had a great lunch of pate with fresh bread and salad.

A couple of jobs for me in the afternoon -

Blazer has a light line ( halyard ) that is a continuous loop over a tiny pulley to the very top of the mast for flags - this had become tangled around the mast preventing me putting up the main sail.
To save me having to go up the mast I brought a pack of 7 foot garden canes and I lashed four together with tie wraps and fixed a wire coat hanger to the end.
No wind today - so ideal for me to stand on a wobbly deck fishing about with a twenty foot cane for a string that I can hardly see !!

First problem - the wire coat hanger got stuck on the radar and pulled free of the tie wraps  - stuck !
Next problem  - I managed to find some more wire and fashion another hook - fixed better.
I managed to hook the line several times and pulled it down to me - I put the bottom end of the cane over the side of Blazer into the water - all of it - the water is only 10 feet deep and 5 feet of the cane went down into black mud.
Concentrating on holding my balance while fishing about with the cane I didnt notice that I was covered in black mud from the cane - my new yellow tee shirt !!!
Jackie was not amused !!!
Anyway - I finally got the line unravelled and tied of securely - Phew!!
Next I retrieved the wire coat hanger !

I then put up the Brittany courtesy flag and uncovered our red ensign on the stern - shipshape.

After dinner we walked Penny on the prom in hot sunshine - one beach front bar was very busy - (Friday night) !

All for now - Mike - Jackie and Penny.  

No comments:

Post a Comment