Thursday 29 August 2013

Still More Sunshine in St. Vaast


Thursday 29th August  2013


                                      Waiting to set off on the amphibious bus to Tatihou island.

Another great day.

I turned Blazer round this morning so that with her stern facing the main pontoon I had access to the last of the woodwork that needs scraping.

It was a fairly easy job with no wind - all done gently with ropes spinning her round.

Unfortunately - I didn't think about what I was doing because the bit I wanted access to was still out of reach when I had her all tied up neatly.

So - untie again and move once more - DONE - Jackie said - I could have told you it was wrong !!

Out on the bikes this morning - shopping - fresh baguette and pate' for lunch.

Back at the marina - jobs - scraping and cleaning in hot sunshine - then lunch and showered ready to visit the little island of Tatihou just off shore.


Just 10 minutes to get there on the amphibious bus and an hour or so walking around in the sunshine - great.

The island's history goes back hundreds of years - used mainly as a fort to protect the bay with cannons.

Back on Blazer - It was G & T time for Jackie and two or three glasses of red wine for me

Jackie cooked a roast dinner of belly pork - veg - new potatoes and Yorkshire pudding!!

A boat had arrived in the afternoon - a Westerly Discus ( bridge deck version at 33 feet long)

The owner - a French character - Peter was keen for me to see his boat which is the same age as Blazer but 4 feet longer - he has made a great job of the upkeep.

I offered to show him Blazer and on the way there - I FELL IN !!!

Not all the way in - I tripped over a cleat and neatly descended into the water turning as I fell to grab the side of the boat next to Blazer - I only went in up to my waist but it made quite a splash !!

Peter helped me out and two or three others came to help - it was more funny than anything.

My main worry was that the boat next to me had only just been launched from new recently and was all gleaming varnished wood - a hand made wooden boat - probably cost half a million pounds - I was clinging onto the side of it - did I scratch it ? - not so far as I could see - WOW !!

Luckily the owner was not on board at the time or he would have had kittens !!

I dried out over a game of Scrabble in the cockpit ( I lost again ).

Having the cockpit next to the main pontoon is good - people stop and chat more - sociable.

A new looking  British boat arrived at tea time and the couple on were very chatty - recommending restaurants for us to visit in Cherbourg - We are not quite in their spending league I don't think.

Quite a day.

Mike and Jackie Smethurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment