Tuesday 28 August 2012

Return to Cherbourg.

                                                 A fantastic bakery in Cherbourg town centre.


A restful day.

I was originally due to travel on Saturday but the ferry was cancelled due to high winds and 3 metre waves!

So I re- booked everything for Sunday and it turned out to be a long day.

Left home at 06.45 - Taxi to the station - train to St Pancress - London.

Tube to Victoria - or so I thought - WRONG!.

I was well on the way when I checked the itinerary - Saturdays said Victoria - Sundays said Waterloo!!

Panic!

I retraced my steps then set off on the Northern line but it took forever I got to Waterloo 5 minutes after my train to Portsmouth had gone!!

Then a bit of good luck - there was another in 20 minutes - and my ticket was flexible.

Then a bit more luck - I got a text from Brittany Ferries to say the Ferry was delayed an hour due to high winds in the morning.

I could relax - Taxi from the station to the ferry terminal - Then 3 hours on the Fast Cat to Cherbourg.

Statistics - 6,500 Tons - can take 260 cars - Cruising speed 42 knots - max 46 knots.
                 Cost £30 million second hand - made of aluminium - in Tasmania.

It was a bit of a sea running but quite comfy sat down but difficult to walk around.

A taxi to the Marina saw me on board at 21.00 - tired out.

Monday (yesterday) I managed a restful day - Getting Blazer back to operational and shopping.

On the way to the big supermarket I wandered around the town centre for the first time but being Monday most shops were closed.


                                                 A massive theatre in a grand square.

It is quite an interesting town and I saw enough to make me go in again today when things will be on the go.

I found the market hall which should be open today.

                                                       A big bronze fountain - no water.

I stocked up on all the usual goodies in the supermarket and ate a seafood meal in the cockpit - crab and the freshest whelks in their shells - wonderful.

So - now rested - a quick trip into town then passage planning and weather checking for the trip to Alderney hopefully tomorrow.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment